Monday, April 11, 2005

Christian's growing


I have a 2 year old little boy that amazes me every day! In November of 2004, we decided that we should have him evaluated due to him showing some serious delays in his speech and delays. We found out that he is most likely autistic. When we started treatement, he said 3 words.. Hi, bye, and Da. Everyday since that starting point, he is moving forward.

I started this blogger for 2 reasons. One is for my child. It will help me gain perspective and measure those changes to help him forward. The second, just as important, is to offer hope and support to others who find themselves on the same journey.

I am going to start where we are today.. and just note what progresses I see or areas that we should work on to focus on growth.

Yesteday, he say Big Bird and Elmo and Identified them and then he went and put them down the slide. AMAZING! The great part.. this is imaginary play. That thing that is most often lacking in kids with autism. Today, I saw him put Big Bird in the bus to go for a ride. I bought him a Barney stuffed animal and he has been singing him the "I love YOU" Barney song and giving him love. Those two things enough are the things that brought me the brightest joy.

Yesterday, we went to the park and he had so much fun. He loves and plays with such passion. He got his first hair cut.. he got through it by looking at the mirrors and lots of singing. He is learning nursery rhymes (itsy bitsy spider, Old Macdonald, If your happy and you know it.. just to name a few.

Tonight, he has been loving and snuggly. We spent time together at Bath time and I celebrated that now he will cover his hair with a bowl and pretend he is putting a hat on his head. This makes bath time much easier. Usually, I pour it over his head and he cries.. thank goodness for his sister, who showed me how to pretend it was a hat with him.

Well enough for now... Thank you God for my children and how they grow me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home