Thursday, April 14, 2005

Keeping Christian Safe

Christian was in a bright mood today. His day was full of songs (usually 3 rolled into 1) and lots of laughter. On these high energy days, are the days we struggle with those times he just not safe.

We arrived at Pre-school today and I talked with him as usual about his friends and him playing today. I open the door, take his head and walk to the door. You see, the door always poses a problem for me because I have to let go of his hands. To open the door there, I have to push in a code, turn the switch and then pull the door towards me to open it. I let go of his hand and take a deep breathe, hoping he did not run. TODAY was not our day! He was smiling and happy and then it happened.. he saw the slide! So he took off running to the slide and the playground. So, I suppose a safety plan to get in the door is my next mission.

Mike called me and said that he climbed the chair at school and fell. While this is not usual for him, I do wish that we could teach him and have him stop climbing. At home, I have things he can climb safely and deep pressure activities. I know this makes it hard for the pre-school and will make it even harder when he enters school. Hopefully, OT will show us some things for school when he is struggling there. The school is FABULOUS with him and I am sure will work with the OT suggesstions.

Last night, I decided to go to church with him. I struggle with the church issue and how to support him there. I am a new Christian and really learning to use my faith to help guide me right now. On Wednesday nights, I have to get from the car to the classroom with him and possibly my daughter. I called Hillvue and am trying to work out assistance in the parking lot so I can come to church. Last night, I got a babysitter and came alone with Christian. He is excited to be there an excited to be in his class. He is adamant he does not want to leave (Crying and throwing himself) when I leave and I always wonder what they must be thinking. As we go down the stairs (with a purse, a diaper bag and child in tow) he drops to the floor on the stair well with a line behind me. UGHHHH He screams and I try to pick him up and talk to him about what is happening next. Transitions were hard for him today.

In the car on the way home, I had this thought.. Check the child safety locks. So I checked them and one was unlocked. After re-locking it, securely fastening in Christian we were on our way. It was only a few minutes until I noticed him almost out of his car seat. Okay Houdini! This is our 3rd Car seat now and he still finds a way. Thank goodness for that reminder the check the locks.

I was glad to be home with the kids when we got back and spent the night playing with him and his baby sister. We are working on having play time together. At bath time, Christian was singing and Said "STOP" dramatically! I thought, okay.. we can work with this and thank you to whoever he learned this from. So I am going to play hand clapping/tapping games and then stop dramatically to try and teach him the word and use his sisters to help me.

Christian drifted off the sleep in my arms (so much for the behavior plan to sleep alone) then I gently placed him in his room, where he slept ALL NIGHT IN HIS ROOM.

So today, it seemed to be a dance of progress and room to grow. I guess I just need to figure out some new directions with safety.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home