Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Play with Me

"YES" is a simple world that communicates more than I could have ever imagined. This morning, like every morning, I asked Christian if he wanted a "cookie" for breakfast (his word for a cereal bar) before we left for school. He looked at me and Said "Yes" very definetly and clearly. As if he had been saying yes forever now. WOW! I just felt touched by him this morning and how very hard he has been working to come back to us and learn to talk to us. I celebrated with him and told him how proud I was of him for letting me know he wanted a cookie. If you do not have a child that has those delays, it is easy to take the moments where they speak forgranted. Those baby steps begin baby leaps for my son when he "gets it"!.

Sunday, I was leaving church and we passed a park. Christian saw it and said "park" and started to cry. I told him that we would go to the park after we had lunch and he settled down. As soon as lunch was over, we went to play at the park. When we got home and explained our detour to his Dad, I had to laugh at his response. Mike told me that Christian was going to figure me out and start understanding if he asked for something, he got it and got his way. Isn't that what we wanted to happen? (smiling) The best news, is that he IS getting and understanding that and talking to me. Now, in the long run, we will have to shape it a little so that he does not use it to escape things. Vicki and I had spoken last time we talked about teaching him to say "no" when he did not want to do something and reinforcing that with him. It is kind of strange to try and teach him to say "no" to me, but when I used it in context when he is upset as another way, he seems to be understanding it and using it appropriately.

Saturday night, after a busy weekend, I settled in to play for a bit because he wanted to play with me. He started the bantering back and forth and we began to count together. Christian would say "1" and I would say "2" and on and on we would go. I decided to play with him and say "9" after he said "6" and he looked at me and said "No, 7". I told him he was right and giggled with him. Then later I thought I would try it again to test the waters and when he said a number, I responded out of sequence with "16" and he looked at me and said "17". Well, my chin could have hit the floor because I was so shocked. Again, when you can plug in.. tap into what he is thinking.. You are amazed at his way of thinking. It is so amazing to see that he is becoming more verbal and he is beginning to understand that their is a connection between us with words. He often plugs into me and connects through a song. He is learning to connect songs to his life and brings them full circle in helping him reach out. He sings, I sing back and we banter laughing at the silliness and the happiness with these simple moments.

Thank you God for giving me eyes to see and ears to hear as my son grows in his language. I can't wait til he will be saying to me " Come play with me".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home