Sunday, August 07, 2005

The World of Autism

Most days, I focus on my son's strengths and his progresses. Yet, that would not be a true picture of our Christian if I only told you those peices of our son. We do deal wit the puzzle peice of Autism and at times as a mom it is mournful to me. I mourn that parts of him that are not with us and try to work to bring them to him now.

Lately, Christian has been somewhat lost in letters, numbers, shapes, and colors. When we went out to dinner for Lily's birthday he was lost in how the food had shapes and numbers in them. A celery was a letter L and a Number 1. He was seeing letters, colors, shapes, and numbers everywhere. He could not eat his food because he was so focused on them. He was able to tell a server "Get my daddy please" He saw a picture of himself and I could see the literal nature of my son. It was him as a baby. It was a "blue, box, baby". Today, he looked at his eyes and said " white and green eyes". While, I love the progress in knowing all of this information, I can see how it traps him and keeps him lost at times.

Today, we celebrated Lily's 1st birthday and he was so excited to have a "happy birthday" yet, he can't tolerate all the people and all the crowd. He simply slips away to do his own thing in his own world and can not be there with us. He can't eat, he can't focus, and he has a hard time doing what he loves, even if it is just to eat birthday cake. He could not eat his food and could not focus. I found him even going inside to be away from us.

This is like his day care lately. There are more kids and more excitement. With more kids, comes new teachers and new situations. I am told his focus is off, he can not sit still, he is running to the door a lot more and can't respond unless you go to him and touch his face. I think he is over stimualted and the sensory imput is to great for him. This means, my son, just goes into himself. He may say hi and obsess over every time the door is open and may not be able to eat. I think somehow lowering the level of stress and change is imperative. He can not and will not communicate in this situation, except to show more signs of frustration.

I need to focus in with his team and decide what are some good supports to put in place for him in these situations. I continue to pray for God to intercede and cure my son from this disease. In the meantime, I am thankful for the guidance and support of the many people that surrounds my life.

Blessing to all that love and support my son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home