Saturday, January 21, 2006

A Mother's Growing

When I began this blog, it was to capture my son's growth... to capture the highs, the lows, and the in-between. As I have been down this road, I have began to understand it as much about my own growth as a mom coming to terms with her son's autism. It seems from the moment I found out about his disability, I have felt this overwhelming drive to do everything within my power to change the outcome of my son's autism..to make it dissappear.

Last week, I read several articles written by folks with autism. When I read the articles.. I had a sense of knowing... knowing that there truths were giving me insight into my son's world and knowing they were speaking to deep parts of me and how I should raise my son. There were certain truths that I had to face and speak to myself. I have to accept and know that no matter what mental, emotional, or investment, Christian's autism.. will be that... autism. It may not be as large and looming.. it may not overtake his life to such a degree.. but it is a part of him. Just as his blond hair and his blue eyes and his sweet warm voice is part of my son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home