Thursday, November 03, 2005

Looking Back...

Sometimes it is the looking back that you realize how far you have journeyed. As I have looked at my son's life over the course of the past year, I realize what an amazing strength and passion for life he has. Christian was basically non-verbal last year. He said EI EI EI EI over and over, flapped his hands and said Hi,Bye, and Da indiscriminately. His response to me was to tune me out most of the time, so much so that we actually thought he could not hear. He was full of tears, crying ,and rage at the world. Then it happened... First Steps. First Steps providers came into our lives and changed our world. We learned how to reach our son, how to walk with our son, and now how to follow his lead. Christian today looks nothing like the little boy lost a year ago. He loves passionately, feels intensly and is learning how to express to us the many thoughts in his head. As we receive more services, we see him sitting for 20 minutes (Are you sure this is my child), eating a larger variety of food, initiating games with his little sister, and saying "big hug and a kiss" for us to kiss him. When we were waking up last weekend, I rolled over and told him " I love you". He looked back and said " You love me?" I hugged him and Said yes I love Christian. Christian said " I love you too Mommy". Not even 8 months ago was the first time he said Mama. Wow... If you want to see a blessing in action, meet my little boy. Perspective, he blows it out of the water... He reminds me not to set limits.. for he has no boundaries to what he can achieve. Autism or not, Christian is our light. Thanks for the many blessings he gives us daily (from smiles of what he says to tears of joy that he finally got a concept).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home