Friday, September 09, 2005

Barney.. It's a love and Hate relationship for me!

My son has an absolute Barney obsession. I know from him waking up in my room that he even dreams of Barney.... Christian watches Barney videos, can quote Barney, and knows more Barney songs than I can imagine. The love for Barney comes from all the knowledge I see Christian gaining from him. He has learned good manners (please and thank you) greetings (It's nice to see you.. It's good to see you) and so much more. Barney made taking a bath, brushing your teeth, and washing your hands a cool thing for Christian to be part of in his life. His eyes light up and he has a happiness about him that is hard to top when Barney is around. This weekend we went to the Flea Market and he saw a life-size Barney, which we bought him and he was proud of in the car riding buckled in beside him. When we got to the discount record store, he spotted a Barney Video. He had a super melt down when we left because he was unable to have Barney. He cried and yelled for almost 45 minutes, with no being deterred. He would cry ... "Bye Barney.. no Barney.. where did Barney go" over and over. After 45 minutes, we drove to my Mom's house and got his favorite Barney tape and popped it in the tape player.. instantly, he said "Oh Barney.." with such a sigh of relief and just started to sing along. So, we trade one Barney for another Barney and he is better. UGGGH! A few weeks ago at Wal-mart, (Another Barney nightmare), he wanted a Barney book. I bought him 1 book out of 4 and we took it to the register. At the register, he handed me back the Barney book and said "Bye Bye Barney" and asked me "Where is farmer Barney". This meant, I have changed my mind and now I want the Farmer Barney coloring book. The good news is that before this time in his life, he would have been holding Barney crying for Barney and I would have had to idea what was wrong. So, we have growth... I do have to work on teaching Christian he can not have Barney in every store and that all Bareny's do not belogn to him. I think this is hard concept for him. He can play with every other Barney so what makes a store diffrent? At home, he has a ton of Barney movies.. (which he began to line up all across his floor) and Barney memorabalia. This morning, we traded a Barney Video for a Barney book just to get to the Car. While I love the things my son has learned from Barney, I would love to learn some wisdom on how to get him to go out into the community and Barney not become a barrier to his success. I think this is where the love and hate for Barney begins. I love the joy and the happiness he brings my child.. and hate the sorrow that comes from my son not understanding why he cant have EVERY SINGLE Barney and why the power being out can keep us from playing him. I am looking for wisdom to learn how to overcome this barrier for him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home