Friday, June 03, 2005

Imagination

Christian is using his IMAGINATION and I am seeing things happening with him that shows me his make remarkable progress. Today, he was sitting in his high chair watching Barney and having dinner. I had been writing on a lined notecard and drew 1 solid black line down the middle. After, I messed up, I laid it aside and Christian picked it up. He first labeled it "Paper" and then when he saw the line, he said "1". He kept taking this little paper index card and using his imagination to play with it. He rolled it up and looked at me and Said "I see you" looking out of the peep hole in the middle. After, a few minutes, he said Train and pushed it around the high chairs edge saying " Train, chugga chugga cho cho" and making it move. I told him to make it an airplane and showed him the noise and how to imitate it and he did. He imitated the flying and made the noise and then went back to making it a train. He seems to just be tuned in on a whole new level. He heard the door today, and said " Coming". I often say that when I am not at the door yet. But, when he practice our script about knocking, It is usually " Who is it? Come In" So, he is even getting the other parts of the interaction. I made him some popcorn and sat in on the computer desk where he was coming over to eat it every few minutes. He saw me take a bite and said "Hungry, eat" and picked it up and moved it to the coffee table. I was so tickled because he is beginning to show possession of things. Lily had a book that he did not want her to have so he put it away (which he has never done with begging and physical prompts). He is also understanding and missing people. When he left today for the store, Lisa (DI) was here and doing therapy with his sister. When he got back, his first question was "Where's Lisa". He only uses rote questions, Like "what doing?" and seems to not really get that as much as knowing it is an interactional phrase. Often times, I say, Christian, what are you doing? We are working on a script so he says his name. I will say, " My name is Mommy. Your name is ... Christian." I will wait for a pause and allow him to say his name ( he is inconsistent). I will then follow up with " What's your name? and if he does not answer. I will say, Your name is ____ and wait for him to reply. So often people come up to him and say Hi and ask his name and the conversation ends after he initiates a smile and maybe says hi. He would not answer a question about his name or respond usually appropriately. We will keep working on these things.. I am so encouraged with his progress! His therapists have very keen insight in to even the little nuiances of his changes and how to support him. Today, I think God for the blessings he has given me with Christian's support team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home